- 1.2-1.5 kg piece of Bolar blade beef or Topside (I have found bolar to shred up the best)
- coconut oil for frying
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped or crushed
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 & 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes (400g)
- 4 sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 2 red capsicums – cut into strips (optional)
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves
- pinch of coconut sugar
- Cut beef into 6 big even pieces. Melt oil in deep fry pan and brown the meat, sealing off each side. Season with pepper as you turn them. Once browned, layer the pieces of meat on the bottom of the slow cooked evenly.
- Using the same fry pan where meat was, melt some more oil and fry onions and garlic scraping up the meat residue. Once onions are caramelised, sprinkle the 2 tbs of flour over the onion ensuring onion well coated. The final step here is to pour in the beef stock and bring to the boil, don;t forget to stir.
- Place the fresh thyme on top of meat in cooker and empty tomatoes on top. Then pour the stock/onion/flour mix over the top of the meat ensuring even coverage.
- (At this stage you will think there is not enough liquid, but there will be when the meat releases its juices etc..)
- Put the lid on and cook for 6-8 hours all day.
- Fry up the red capsicum until soft and cooked through and set aside in the fridge for when meal is ready later in the evening.
- To serve, shred the beef with tongs or remove each piece at a time and use a fork..meat should just fall apart. If it does not, it isn’t ready. I put my shredded meat back into the slow cooker and give it a gentle stir. Then add the fresh basil leaves and the capsicum. Season to taste with salt, pepper or a little coconut sugar.
Serve with broccolini (if you are trying to lose weight) or Basmati Rice
TIPS – the night before, you can prep all your meat, brown it, assemble the onion mix and pop in fridge. Before work..place all into slow cooker and switch on low.
Prep time 20 mins
On slow cook for 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours
Note from Terrific Fitness – Recipe is suitable for people with Coeliac Disease and Gluten Intolerance!